Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

Fast and the Furious



Recently, hubby and I were making our budget, when we added up how much we were spending a month on eating out...sobering and embarrassing are the first two words that come to mind. 

So we decided to go on a restaurant fast. That includes fast food windows. (Cue in weeping and gnashing of teeth) I'm guilty on all counts. I'm so busy homeschooling, keeping kids satisfied, changed and fed (read: alive) and shuffling Isabella around to her various activities, that by the end of the day I'm so exhausted, we end up grabbing take out. 

Well, after seeing what we were spending a month, we both knew it was time to make some changes. So I've challenged my family to a two week restaurant fast! As my husband put on our kitchen chalkboard, we are currently two days incident free! 


Little dude enjoyed himself some sugar snap peas! Nora just opened them up to picked out and play with the peas. 

I'm taking this as another opportunity to clean up some habits in our diet...note I'm NOT health nut by any stretch of the imagination, but at this point I feel like any steps in the right direction, no matter how small, are an improvement! 

I decided that we needed to curb the red meat and ground beef out of our diet a little, and incorporate more fish. So for the first time in my life I ordered from the seafood case at my local grocery store. I had to avert my eyes from the various marine life staring back at me, but I ordered some filets and got the heck out of dodge. 

My husband is a smidge on the picky side, so I was a little nervous about tonight's dinner of baked cod (it was good!) brown rice and steamed broccoli. He ate every bite-even the broccoli! Anybody who knows my hubbs knows what a feat that is. 

The twins weren't enthusiastic, but Isabella cleaned her plate...and just in case anybody was afraid I had gone all healthy on them, I baked a chocolate sheet cake for dessert. Holy mackerel! (Snort-get it?) it was good! I'm not telling how much I ate, but it was in the range of  less than four but more than two slices....


Not eating out is going to be a huge sacrifice of convenience...but we are saving for our dream home, so I'm trying to look at the BIG picture here...but boy oh boy those Golden Arches just tease me when I drive by...what I wouldn't give for some steaming hot French fries!!! 
  

0 comments:

Post a Comment